Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

October’s Favorite Things

A few of my non-beauty related favorites for the month of October …


1.       Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs

The notion of “Peculiar Children” drew me to this book; I can never resist a story about unusual children, and the vintage photos supplementing the story line add to the beautiful eerie-ness. I find the way in which Riggs represents Jacob’s insight to the world around him exceptional. The first half of the story was face paced and mesmerizing; however, most of the second half is messy and jumbled together. Overall, for me at least, the good points outshine the bad. The sequel will be a long awaited read. paced and mesmerizing; however, most of the second half is messy and jumbled together. Overall, for me at least, the good points outshine the bad. The sequel will be a long awaited read.



2. Matched – Allie Condie

I had very low expectations for this book. At face value it’s very similar to the Hunger Games, but when writing for this type of genre (dystopian society) a few key elements must have to remain the same; given that, this book was good. The way Condie writes is a mixture of  prose and poetry. The characters are well formed, and the transformations they go through are natural. I’ve already begun the sequel, Crossed. So far, I like what I’m reading; thought, this one make take a little longer to read because of midterms

3. Sweet little Zooey.

Wheew! This little girl is a HANDFUL! She is yet to be fully litter trained; so, if for any reason she cannot reach her litter box she goes to option No. 2, my bed. She also is constantly tearing up my wicker baskets. BUT she is also the cutest little baby kitty, and so spunky and playful. Pepper loves having someone to play with.

4. Drive was not what I expected. It was more of a drama rather than action movie it was portrayed to be.Ryan Gosling did a wonderful job, and Carey was beautiful in it. The ending was perfect. I have no complaints with this movie.

5. Dream House was another unexpected plot for me. It had a handful of twist thrown about, but towards the very end you start piecing everything together. The children did a good job acting, until the very end. Who knows, it could have been the director’s vision for them to act that way; make it all seem like a game …

6. Walking Dead, Grimm, Dexter, Supernatural are my most watch shows. I think they are the only time I watch TV.

7. The Wonder Years on Netflix has ended any and all remote control battles JP and I might have had. We have opted to snuggle on the coach and soak in our long lost childhood.

8. I’ve been enjoying many Pumpkin Spiced lattes this month and last month. I’ve even tried my hand at making them, but it has yet to turn out as good as Starbucks. I made a pumpkin pasta from a recipe I found off Pinterest. I also have a few pumpkin spiced candles in my apt. They make the inside feel like fall. Pumpkin is the flavor of the month!

9. Speaking of my apt, I have really been enjoying being a homemaker. Work has been slow; so, I’ve had some extra days off to stay at home doing this and that. I’ve done lots of work to the walls, and tonight I am going to try to tackle my closet, and possibly later this week the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment